Jama Masjid , Mathura

image

By Daniells in 18th century
image

By Edwin Lord Weeks
The Persian couplet on top reads
“God lives within a heart with the help of a greater love.”
Translation by Usman Ghani
Although famous for its temples, one of the main attractions of tourists in Mathura is Jama Masjid. It is very popular place of worship for Muslims as well as other pilgrims coming to this region. Jama Masjid Mathura was envisioned and constructed by Abd-un-Nabi Khan or Nabir Khan, as he is commonly known, in 1661. He was the Fauzdaar of Itawa at the time when Aurangzeb ruled Delhi. Later on, he was transferred to Mathura, where he built this renowned mosque.
image
( From the net but today it’s very well maintained ).
Abd-un-Nabi Khan bought the site from butchers and the rest was obtained from few Kazis. The descendants of kazis still reside there at Kusk Mahalla, the only place in Mathura which is known by a Persian name.
The masjid is representative of mughal architecture which consists of four minarets that are intricately decorated. The mosaic plastering on these minarets are vibrantly colored and few panels having this plastering still exist which has faded-colored plaster mosaic.
is also said that it is built on the site where Govind Dev Temple was built, but by the orders of Aurangzeb, it was mutilated and the idols of gods and goddesses were buried in the ground.
( mathuraonline.in)

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

Leave a Reply


*