Faiz Ahmed Faiz Ghazal
donon jahan teri muhabbat men har ke
voh ja raha hai koi shab-e gham guzar ke.
viran hai maikada khum-o saghar udas hain
tum kya gae ki ruth gae din bahar ke.
ik fursat-e gunah mili voh bhi char din
dekhe hain ham ne hausale parvardagar ke.
dunya ne teri yad se begana kar diya
tujh se bhi dilfareb hain gham rozgar ke.
bhule se muskara to diye the voh aj Faiz
mat puch valvale dil-e na-karda-kar ke.
My attempt ( with some help from the net) to translate Faiz sahabs ghazal ” donon jahan teri mohabbat mein”
1. With both worlds forfeited by loving you
there goes someone after a night spent in pain.
2. The tavern is in ruins, the wine-jar and the goblet are sad:
You went away taking days of spring (happiness )with you
3. I got one opportunity for sin, that only for a few days:
I have seen what the Provider has planned for me.
4. The world has alienated me from memories of you,
The world’s suffering are greater than your charms
5. It was by mistake that she smiled today, Faiz,
Don’t ask the fervour that it woke in this dejected heart