On 1March Sajid Bhombhal a Twitter friend from Konkan sent me this recioe
I never did get round to cooking it.
Sajid passed away a few years ago. I post this in this in his memory.
Malvani Fish Curry
½ Kg Fish Pomfret/ Halwa / Surmai (cut into pieces)
8-10 dry chilies
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp. Coriander seeds
1 tsp. red chili powder
7-8 garlic flakes coarsely grounded
2 onions sliced finely
1 cup grated coconut
1 tsp. Fish Masala / (garam masala if fish masala is not available)
Salt to taste
1) Clean the Fish, Apply a little salt and turmeric and keep aside.
2) In three tbsp Oil fry Onion, Dry chilies, Turmeric and Coriander seeds till the Onions turn light brown.
3) Grind the grated coconut with above ingredients to a paste.
4) Apply the ground paste to the fish and keep aside to marinate for 15 min.
5) Fry the Garlic flakes in 5 tbsp oil, add red chili powder and Fish Masala.
6) Add the fish pieces with the marinade and add 2 cup water, simmer on low heat till the fish is cooked.